The Pelagic AC supports fisheries science by funding research programmes to develop scientific evidence in support of our advice and recommendations. As well as collaborating with national research institutes, we host BSc and MSc students during their research projects.
Project-specific information may be accessed below.
Population structure of the Atlantic horse mackerel revealed by whole-genome sequencing
A report prepared for the members of the Northern Pelagic Working Group and the Pelagic Advisory Council by Angela P. Fuentes-Pardo, Mats Pettersson, C. Grace Sprehn, Leif Andersson (Uppsala University, Sweden) & Edward Farrell (EDF Scientific Limited, Ireland) (2020)
- The study aimed to identify genetic markers for stock identification of horse mackerel, and estimate the extent of genetic differentiation among populations across the species distributional range.
- Results indicated that North Sea horse mackerel is a distinct population, while the Western stock and the northern part of the Southern stock form a genetically close group.
- Significant genetic differentiation was found between horse mackerel populations in Northern and Southern Portuguese waters, with those in the south representing a separate population.
Exploration of potential changes in post-Brexit catch opportunities for European pelagic fisheries
Masters thesis by Guillaume Carruel (2018)
- Study investigating the potential future impacts of Brexit on European pelagic fisheries.
MareFrame – Co-creating Ecosystem-based Fisheries Management Solutions – was a European Commission-funded project, which aimed to remove barriers inhibiting the widespread adoption of an ecosystem-based approach to fisheries management. The Pelagic AC was a partner in this project, providing input on behalf of pelagic fisheries stakeholders.
Links to organisations that the Pelagic AC engages with may be accessed below.
The Advisory Councils
- Aquaculture Advisory Council
- Baltic Sea Advisory Council
- Black Sea Advisory Council
- Long Distance Advisory Council
- Market Advisory Council
- Mediterranean Advisory Council
- North Sea Advisory Council
- North Western Waters Advisory Council
- Outermost regions Advisory Council
- South Western Waters Advisory Council